Update your bookmarks!

I've moved!

Update your Reader to Travel, Eat, Repeat!

See you there!

Monday, January 11, 2010

Neighborhood envy

Examiner.com: Hidden Washington: DC's quirkiest museums

If Dupont Circle/Adams Morgan is where I want to live as a 20-something, Georgetown is my dream neighborhood as a wealthy adult.

(Side note: If any DCites know of a decent apartment or building in either of those locations, with reasonable rent and available from May or later -- help a blogger out!)

Formerly Riggs Bank, until the bank went bust (M Street)

Walking around this neighborhood is an attraction in itself. The best shopping in the city, amazing restaurants (tons of little cafes and bistros) and stunning architecture. I could spend an afternoon walking through the back streets, gazing at old homes and finding hidden gems.

One of Washington's most historic neighborhoods, Georgetown still has some cobblestone streets and sidewalks, and the city's oldest standing building, Old Stone House, from 1765, is also here.


Most people don't come to Georgetown for a history lesson, though. They come to shop and eat! M Street is the most popular shopping corridor, with block after block of both chain stores and boutiques. The secondhand shops (like Annie Creamcheese and Second Time Around) are also worth checking out for fantastic used and vintage finds. If nothing else, there's always the mall.


It's also a favorite post-church brunch spot for my family. Bistro Francais, Bistro Lepic -- can you tell we like French food?

I think the reason Georgetown is so appealing is that it has a true neighborhood feel, which can be hard to find a big city. Once you're off the main streets, the neighborhood has parks, churches and small museums with a quaint feel. Ignore the million-dollar price tags and you can picture yourself living here.

Do you have a dream neighborhood?

3 comments:

  1. I had total neighborhood envy of Georgetown when we visited in Sept! Hmm. I cannot think of any other dream neighborhood. I would like to live somewhere quiet, on the ocean, but haven't found it yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Washington, it's one of my favourite places I visitid on my travel. So beautiful and full of history. Now live in Vancouver in one of the most beautiful neighbourhoods I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete