Update your bookmarks!

I've moved!

Update your Reader to Travel, Eat, Repeat!

See you there!

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Calling all Aussies and Kiwis!

Examiner.com: Make a resolution: Travel somewhere warm

You've helped me before -- now, please do it again!

Many of you know that I'm planning a two-month long trek through Australia and New Zealand in February before hanging up my traveling shoes, at least temporarily, and settling down to a "real" job. Sad, but true. Although if anyone knows of a "real" job that will let me keep traveling, writing and generally doing what I'm already doing, send that info my way! ;)


Since this is my last hurrah -- and planning a trip of this length is a huge undertaking -- I'm turning to you for help and advice. Do you live in (or have you been to) Australia or New Zealand and know of somewhere I should definitely go? Whether it's a sight to see, a restaurant with great eats, a fantastic hostel or if you want to play tour guide for a day (yes, please!), let me know.

Some friends have already sent advice and that is so appreciated. I'm traveling with a friend for at least part of the trip, hopefully meeting up with other friends on the continent as time goes on, but planning out a general itinerary is daunting.

Although I want to play it by ear for the most part, I also don't want to realize that it's April 1, there are only 2 weeks left and so much remaining to be seen.

Basic info: flying into and out of Melbourne. Would like to "do" Australia first -- tentative plan to travel up the East coast from Melbourne, then fly west and see the middle of the country (5 weeks total?), then spend the remaining 3ish weeks in New Zealand.

Beyond having a return ticket booked, I'm an open slate. Send in any and all suggestions. And if any of my Aussie or Kiwi readers want to meet up while I'm over there, that would be fabulous.

As a thank you, I'll be blogging and posting photos daily from Down Under beginning February 17. Stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. I have zero tips to offer, but I couldn't help saying that I am SO jealous of this trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erin,

    My name is Joanna, and I'm a friend of Melissa Weiss...and her blog led me to yours. I spent around 7 months in Australia last year, mostly in Brisbane, but I did pretty much all of the east coast. I'll think on what I'd definitely recommend, and post again, but I also wanted to let you know a few things. First of all, I have friends in Sydney and Brisbane, so if you need a tour guide in either of those places, let me know, and I'll set it up. Also, It sounds like you'll be in Australia the end of March/April? If thats the case, I'm going back for a visit March 28-April 5, and would be happy to meet up with you if the dates match up, and show you around! Also, if your in Oz over Easter and need a place to celebrate, I can help you out there! Feel free to email me at jofleishm@gmail if you want to chat about things a little more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey erin!! we have used this site to book our flights around australia: http://iwantthatflight.com.au/

    maybe you've already discovered it? also...promise me you'll check out some of the events for chinese new year. don't know if they had anything special in korea, but you gotta see the lion and dragon dance thingy and the festivities associated with it!

    ReplyDelete