Update your bookmarks!

I've moved!

Update your Reader to Travel, Eat, Repeat!

See you there!

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Oh, the places you'll go!

Examiner.com: DC's budget-friendly happy hour hot spots

Isn't this year's tree an improvement over last year's?

Christmas 2008 in Seoul

2008: white construction paper colored in with colored pencils, cut into the shape of a tree and ornament and taped to my bureau.

2009: actual live Fraser fir, 8-feet-tall and smelling heavenly.

Yep, I know which one I prefer!

Actually, it was fun having a completely nontraditional Christmas last year. I was one of the lucky teachers who was off work both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, so it certainly felt more like a holiday than it may have otherwise, but it was nothing like being at home.

But while home is great ... the next adventure has officially been booked! I'm going Down Under from February to April, with a return ticket to Melbourne bought and paid for. Ouch! That's the sound of my poor bank account shelling out the money for a plane ticket across the world ... again.)

Yep, my dear friend Sandy (a fellow ex-teacher) and I head to Melbourne February 15 before trekking up Australia's East coast, flying across the barren middle to explore the West Coast, then hopping down to New Zealand for a few weeks.

All together, two months of exploring with nary an itinerary or agenda in sight. It shall be glorious.

Luckily, Sandy and I have friends there to help us with the journey but certainly any advice, tips, recommendations, etc. are greatly appreciated! I've been to Sydney but only once and only for a week, so there's a lot to explore still. Australia is almost the same size as the continental United States!

Know of cheap hostels? Must-see sights? Must-do activities? Live in Australia or New Zealand and want to play tour guide? Tell me!

So I promise -- come mid-February, things will get exciting around here again.

Where is your dream vacation? Australia was always near the top of my list along with Egypt, Peru and Greece. Still need to get to those three!

6 comments:

  1. You haven't been to Greece yet? Come in July - I will be there for a few days!

    Also, time to hit up Simone for all her Aussie travel tips!

    To answer your question, as of right now, I want to see Monument Valley in all its splendor - or Teahupo'o in Tahiti!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That will be such a fab trip!

    I am a new reader, so I don't know the answer to this, but how is it that you get to travel so much? :) It's great!

    Egypt and Greece are on the top of my list too. And Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think anywhere out of North America would be a dream come true for me. I've never left the continent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zoe, I'd love to come to Greece than but doubt I can swing it -- might be in Spain in May, though, and could maybe hop over. ;)

    Kilax, I spent the year after uni graduation teaching English in South Korea and was able to save quite a bit of money that way. I'm spending the next few months traveling and then I need to find a proper job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too jealous of your traveling, so I'm just going to comment on your happy hour article. Those places sound great! I'm looking forward to trying them out!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh..dream vacay is def Hawaii or Jamaica!

    ReplyDelete