Update your bookmarks!

I've moved!

Update your Reader to Travel, Eat, Repeat!

See you there!

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Kennedy Center Christmas

Examiner.com: What to do Christmas Day in the Nation's Capital
Examiner.com: Exploring European Christmas markets


My list of the top 12 Christmas songs somehow omitted one of the absolute best. It's perfectly appropriate for Christmas Eve so I'm just throwing it out there for you to listen or not: Kathy Mattea, "Mary, Did You Know?"

It's fun to see how differently each house and building decorates for the holidays. For some reason, this year there seem to be fewer decorations than in the past -- has anyone else noticed this or is it around my neighborhood? Entire blocks are devoid of lights whereas normally, it's a pretty decked-out place.

When I saw "August: Osage County" last week, noticeably missing was the red ribbon that used to wrap around the top of the Kennedy Center during December. Where did it go?


The Washington Post solved that mystery. Interestingly, the ribbon was only up four years but seeing it wrapped around the Kennedy Center, as if gifting the performing arts center to Washington, is etched into my mind. It turns out that the daily up-keep of the half-mile long, 12-foot wide ribbon was too much.

I understand that it was a lot of hard work but it would be nice to see the outside of the Kennedy Center as decorated as the inside, which is filled with brightly-lit Christmas trees, garland and flowers. The gift shops sell seasonal favorites including Nutcrackers and everything that can possibly be related (books, dance shoes, tutus, CDs, DVDs).

'Tis the season!
Happy Christmas Eve!

What are your plans for Christmas Eve/Day? If you don't celebrate Christmas, which movie are you going to see? ;)

4 comments:

  1. I'm going to my father's house. My parents are both Jewish, but my stepmother is Christian so they celebrate Christmas and Hanukkah there. Truthfully, I like celebrating Christmas too even though I wasn't brought up to celebrate. I might see a movie too though. I heard Avatar was good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally noticed that it seems like no one has decorated this year! Even my family didn't put up any lights or decorations at all. Maybe it has something to do with the economy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed fewer decorations as well. The Kennedy Center sure looks beautiful from the photos though!

    We are staying home - my in-laws are here so we will make a few nice meals and open gifts and relax. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though I celebrate Christmas, going to see a movie on Christmas night became a tradition with my friends in high school/early college. I'm sad to be missing out on this year, as they're starting it back up after a couple years off. But I'll be going to see one tomorrow, the day after!! And instead I'll just watch a Christmas movie in my own apartment!
    Christmas is over for me... but I spent it sleeping in, and then attending the joint Christmas service at Youngnak.. we then enjoyed a delicious meal, and I ended my day with a massage (my Christmas gift to myself!). We even got a few snow flurries, so it was a very nice day!

    ReplyDelete