Update your bookmarks!

I've moved!

Update your Reader to Travel, Eat, Repeat!

See you there!

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A monumental failure


Washington Monument, autumn 2009

In the vein of yesterday's post about stopping to notice everyday surroundings, I was scrolling through iPhoto last week and realized I had almost zero photos of DC's most famous attractions.

There are plenty of photos inside restaurants, on the streets and at friend's apartments but as to anything famous or historical... not so much. I go right by the White House leaving church and yet hardly pay it a moment's notice.

In fact, almost all the photos I had of any Washington attractions were from the annual Smithsonian Folklife Festival and a Help the Homeless Walkathon we participated in a few years ago.

Jefferson Memorial, winter 2007

That's it. 23 years of living in the Nation's Capital, minus 4-month and 1-year stints in London and Seoul, respectively, and I have about 5 pictures of the sites that make this city famous. Pretty pathetic.

And so, along with my vow to take more pictures of small everyday things, I also want to document the more extraordinary sites of Washington, DC. There are some gorgeous places here from the monuments, to the Mall, to the museums.

I was at Dumbarton Oaks last week when almost no one was there and was so mad at myself for forgetting the camera. The atmosphere was incredibly peaceful and even in the autumn chill, the gardens were still gorgeous.

National Cathedral, summer 2008: I was driving home from the Korean embassy and wanted to document my last few days in America.

People who live in cities always hate to be tourists in their own town. I have no problem traveling around the world and yet aiming my camera at a famous site in DC makes me cringe. Funny how that works.

1 comment:

  1. I lived across the street from the cathedral for a few years. Think I have one photo of it? I have a few of the grounds, but none of the building.

    You're inspiring me to start being a tourist in my own town too. Maybe we should organize a DC photo walk.

    ReplyDelete