Update your bookmarks!

I've moved!

Update your Reader to Travel, Eat, Repeat!

See you there!

Monday, October 12, 2009

Darwinism on my front steps



It's survival of the fittest around here.

I walked outside the other morning and the first thing I saw were these two MASSIVE bugs. Seriously, they were each four or so inches long. Before having the chance to freak out and brush them away, I noticed that one of the bugs (the brown one) had ensnared the green bug with his front legs and was eating it!

So gross and yet... kind of cool. Carnivorous bugs!

What's even yuckier? The next morning I went outside and saw the big brown bug still sitting contentedly on the front steps -- with only one green wing remaining. Ew.

Do bugs creep you out? I can't help it -- they really disgust me!

2 comments:

  1. The brown bug is a praying mantis and the green one is a katydid. The katydid may have already been dead; they usually don't hang out on the ground and it is getting late in the year for them (short lifecycle of only a few months). Maybe you will be less grossed out if you think of it as recycling. Beats having dead bodies lying about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeeeeeek! Big bugs!!!!!!!! Bugs don't freak me out too much... just not a fan of roaches (I'm not sure many people are!) or snakes!

    ReplyDelete