Update your bookmarks!

I've moved!

Update your Reader to Travel, Eat, Repeat!

See you there!

Monday, August 10, 2009

Monday Musings

- Haynes Johnson was one of the most fascinating professors I had at Philip Merrill -- one of Woodward and Bernstein's editors during Watergate, he won a Pulitzer for coverage of the civil rights movement and lives in the coolest (and most historic) home I've ever been to. His new book is about the 2008 U.S. Presidential election and looks like a must-read for any political junkie. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy.

Plus it's co-authored by the Post's Dan Balz and has Maureen Dowd's stamp of approval. What more do you need?

- Packing up for summer vacation? Notting Hill's The Travel Bookshop chooses the 10 best travel reads. I've sadly only read one -- Rory Stewart's "The Places In-Between" -- and loved it.

- This TIME story is kind of misleading: Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin. The thesis: exercise makes you hungry so you eat more, thereby preventing you from losing weight. Some of the article makes sense but at the same time, there's no reason you can't exercise AND go to Starbucks AND be healthy. Moderation, people.

- Speaking of Starbucks, what does your order say about you? I usually go for either a chai tea or non-fat latte with cinnamon, but the iced venti, dry Americano trick might be worth trying one day...

- Barbara Ehrenreich has done more to educate me -- and millions of other Americans -- about American poverty and the "working poor" than anyone else. Her latest column looks at police crackdown on the homeless and quotes a homeless advocate I once interviewed, too.

- One year at a cushy Korean private school burned me out; she made it four at a Southeast DC charter school.

- Turns out you don't get a stamp in your passport if you visit North Korea.

And finally:

- Your daily dose of eye candy: Presidents and First Ladies in Swimsuits. Sexy. Thanks, Huffington Post.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the book recommendation! I'm definitely adding it to my list :-)

    ReplyDelete