Update your bookmarks!

I've moved!

Update your Reader to Travel, Eat, Repeat!

See you there!

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

So gorgeous, so good!


How yummy does this look?

Living on my own in a tiny apartment with just one hot plate and a blender (thanks to Kirsten, who gifted me with this today) means that meals need to be quick and easy. It's simplest to eat basically the same thing for dinner every night, especially because I don't have a freezer and so can't buy too much of any one ingredient. 

My staple dinner is pasta with vegetables, changing the veggies depending on what looks good at the market. But I think I've found a winner this week. Tri-color vegetable pasta. Cherry tomatoes. Spinach. Broccoli. 

The entire thing takes about 20 minutes -- boil water, throw in pasta for 10 minutes, take out pasta and toss the veggies into the pan for a few minutes, put on a plate with some parmesan cheese on top. 

Delicious. 


Wow, seeing a picture of it makes it look like a massive plate of food. But there are way more veggies than pasta, I promise -- about 1 cup each of broccoli and spinach, 3/4 cup dry pasta, a large handful of tomatoes. (Speaking of tomatoes, check out the gorgeous tomato Lauren took a photo of for our other blog -- yay homegrown produce!)

Natalie leaves Korea next month and from her, I'll inherit a toaster oven so I'm looking forward to banana bread (thanks to the delish Trader Joe's mix Dad sent), roast veggies and baked potatoes.

-----

I've been dying to see Food, Inc. ever since hearing about it several months ago but so far, can't find it online and there's no way it would be released in Korea. During my search, I stumbled onto another fantastic documentary, The Future of Food, which explores the same issues (major corporations controlling the majority of food manufacturing and processing in America, and the health and environmental risks of that). 

You can watch The Future of Food for FREE online. It's only an hour long and presents a compelling argument in favor of eating (as much as possible) an all-organic diet.

What I loved about it -- and I've heard this is the case with Food, Inc., as well -- is that there isn't an argument for vegetarianism and a call to give up meat. Instead, you'll become more educated about the antibiotics, pesticides and other harmful chemicals you may be ingesting when you're eating non-organic produce, meat and dairy. The information about dairy has been especially enlightening for me and made me want to take the extra step to either purchase organic milk and eggs or leave them out of my diet entirely, as is the case at present.

A related website suggests 10 easy steps we can each take to change food culture and push for better food practices in America. Check it out. :) 

3 comments:

  1. Now that you have a blender, you can make gazpacho! I have a recipe from Tad's sister that's to die for. I'll email it to you if you want it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually have a screener copy for Food Inc. if you want to borrow it when you get back!
    We had the producer and director of it on one of our shows, and I gifted it for myself! :)
    It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sam -- I'll definitely take you up on that if I can't track it down before then. I've heard great things!

    ReplyDelete