Update your bookmarks!

I've moved!

Update your Reader to Travel, Eat, Repeat!

See you there!

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Caught in the rain



Before heading out for a walk to the park and market this afternoon, I ran a quick mental checklist of what was in my bag. Book? Check. (Reading in the park is one of my favorite Sunday afternoon activities.) Wallet? Got it. iPod? Yup. 

Anything missing? After contemplating throwing in an umbrella, I shrugged my shoulders and confidently left my apartment. Despite a forecast of afternoon thunderstorms, the sun was shining with nary a cloud in sight.

How quickly things change. 

After finding a comfy, shaded bench at the park and indulging in some shameless people-watching (I stare at others as much as they stare at me, so it all evens out in the end), I cracked open Michener and settled in. Maybe half an hour passed before:


Rain! And not just a light summer drizzle. No, the heavens completely opened up and sent down BUCKETS of water. I took shelter under an awning for a few minutes before deciding that it was ridiculous to find cover when I was already soaking wet. Luckily before I had to face a walk home through the downpour, a bus I recognized drove by and I was able to hop on. 


It's a 5-minute walk from the bus stop to campus, so by the time I got home, I looked (and felt) like I'd fallen into the pool with all my clothes on. The security guard laughed when I came walking up the steps looking like a little drowned rat. 

Ah well, you live, you learn. And some people never learn because it's happened to me before and will certainly happen again. 

The gates to the temple near my house were slightly ajar so I snuck this picture. Notice the pretty hanging lotus lanterns. 

After a couple of hours the weather cleared and I was able to hit up the market and grocery store for some key ingredients -- I'm making lentil-grain burgers this week. Yummm!

1 comment:

  1. wow! how strangee! we were at a baseball game in jamsil, and no rain! the sun actually came out and it turned into a beautiful day at the ballpark. how odd that it just rained in part of Seoul - I mean, I know that it happens that way, but I feel like it usually rains all over Seoul when it rains.

    ReplyDelete