Update your bookmarks!

I've moved!

Update your Reader to Travel, Eat, Repeat!

See you there!

Friday, May 1, 2009

Yet another post about food, surprise, surprise


Itaewon wouldn't be my first choice as a neighborhood to live in. There's a seedy air surrounding the area but, at the same time, it's definitely one of my favorite places to go out to eat. Nowhere else in Seoul can you find the variety of restaurants packed together so densely. It's easy to be here because, as Itaewon is the foreign neighborhood, most shopkeepers and restauranteurs speak English. There's a palpable sense of relief at entering a store and being able to communicate your needs without a game of Charades and a few nonsensical Korean words thrown in.


I've tried a bunch of different restaurants here and last night, Melissa and I checked out a relatively new place, Macaroni Market.


The restaurant is known for its white cheddar, bacon-topped, oven-baked macaroni. Melissa ordered it and I stole a few bites -- delicious! (Totally forgot to take a picture, oops! Trust me, it was gorgeous.)

I got the Caesar salad and then we split an order of onion/tomato/mushroom bruschetta. The salad was covered in wayyyy too much dressing but since people always make fun of me for adding specifications to my order, I didn't request dressing on the side and see what happens?!

Most restaurants in Korea, incidentally, seem to hate special requests on your order. Want to change the meat on your salad? No way. Different dressing? I'll have to ask the manager. No cheese? Oops, I forgot.


The bruschetta was definitely the highlight of dinner for me, yum yum yum.


I'm not sure if I'll go back to Macaroni Market. The food was good but there are so many other places to try and now time is running out. Less than five months until I leave Korea, possibly forever, so I need to start making a list of everything I must do because the end will be here before long.

A few random pics from Itawon:

I love that Walter Cronkite bought a suit from this kind of crummy-looking shop.

1 comment: