Update your bookmarks!

I've moved!

Update your Reader to Travel, Eat, Repeat!

See you there!

Monday, May 18, 2009

Monday Musings

- The lost art of reading aloud

Reading aloud recaptures the physicality of words. To read with your lungs and diaphragm, with your tongue and lips, is very different than reading with your eyes alone. The language becomes a part of the body, which is why there is always a curious tenderness, almost an erotic quality, in those 18th- and 19th-century literary scenes where a book is being read aloud in mixed company. The words are not mere words. They are the breath and mind, perhaps even the soul, of the person who is reading.

- Maybe Lauren and I should rethink our dream of moving to Seattle and opening a bakery-bookshop.

- This must be the most challenging athletic event in the world.

- Let's all embrace the "weisure" lifestyle.

- Which leads into this story about the future of the American workplace

- I don't know how I missed this fantastic Maureen Dowd column on the extinction of the American newspaper: 

'For people who still love print, who like to hold it, feel it, rustle it, tear stuff out, do their I. F. Stone thing, it’s important to remember that people are living longer,' he said. 'That’s the most hopeful thing you can say about print journalism, that old people are living longer.'

- TIME Magazine asks if zombies exist and concludes that yes, yes they do.

- Eurovision is absolutely fascinating, definitely worth moving to Europe for. 

- A terrible paradox: sometimes the poorer you are, the more things cost

- What to do with South Korea's "ghost" airport.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing links today! My dad actually emailed me the one about reading aloud. I used to do it all the time to help me study, even though I'm more of a visual learner.

    He also sent me this: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/21/magazine/21writingprof-t.html?emc=eta1

    Loved the "weisure" and the zombie story. Sent those around at work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, scratch Seattle. Let's go to San Fran :)

    ReplyDelete