Update your bookmarks!

I've moved!

Update your Reader to Travel, Eat, Repeat!

See you there!

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Stuff White People ... er, Erin Like

I'm sure most of you are aware of the website Stuff White People Like. It's been one of my go-to blogs for more than a year now and with each update, I realize how absurdly white I am.

For those of you not in the know, SWPL describes itself as "a scientific approach to highlight and explain stuff white people like. They are pretty predictable." The website is written (completely tongue-in-cheek) as the definitive guide to white culture -- or, at least, a specific subset of white culture.

Plenty of people comment on each entry saying, "I'm white and none of this ever applies to me!" It's shocking how many people take the website seriously and call it racist or elitist. Most of the 'stereotypes' apply to upper-middle class, suburban/urban, liberal, college-educated, white people in their 20s and 30s.

A distinct subset of the population, for sure, and with few exceptions, I read each post and immediately declare: "Oh my God, they know my life."

A sampling of things white people enjoy: taking a year off, hummus, pea coats, Mad Men, grammar, scarves, musical comedies, study abroad, recycling, expensive sandwiches, Whole Foods, the Sunday New York Times, public radio, plays, Apple products, Arrested Development, The Daily Show/Colbert Report, David Sedaris, traveling, awareness, film festivals, tea and organic food.

Wearing a scarf and peacoat while posing with a portrait of Stephen Colbert. We were celebrating birthdays and return from study abroad, and right afterwards went to Kramerbooks and ate hummus. I swear.

Gee, sound like anyone you know? The website reads like my 'interests' section on Facebook. And those aren't even all the ones I identify with.

I hate being predictable but at least I know I'm not alone.

1 comment:

  1. I think the site is hilarious. I've only been on it like once but some of the stuff, I was laughing at. I have many white friends and they agree, to a large extent, that yes, the majority of the stuff written on the site they can relate to. It is really good fun.

    ReplyDelete