Update your bookmarks!

I've moved!

Update your Reader to Travel, Eat, Repeat!

See you there!

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Thoughts of home and hope

photo from bbc.co.uk

Watching CNN.com coverage of the inauguration festivities has made me homesick for the first time in nearly four months.

Watching the Obamas walk down Pennsylvania Avenue, the streets lined with people; streaming clips from the Lincoln Memorial concert and seeing the excitement on peoples' faces; and seeing millions of Americans crammed onto the Mall and waving mini American flags during while Obama took the Oath of Office makes me both miss and appreciate Washington.

It must be an exciting time to be there and witness not just history, but such a dramatic turning point in American politics, I think. Especially after the eight years of epic failure that were the Bush years, the United States finally seems to be heading in the right direction.

I'm sure Obama will make mistakes -- so many of his supporters have turned him into this infallible Messiah, almost -- but I'm also hopeful that the future will be brighter than the past and that America can regain her position as a respected world leader.

The America I'll return to in October is definitely a better one than I left last autumn.

No comments:

Post a Comment