Update your bookmarks!

I've moved!

Update your Reader to Travel, Eat, Repeat!

See you there!

Friday, January 9, 2009

Random observations

-Koreans don't wear sunglasses. Not even on days when the sun is blindingly bright and to go out without protective eyewear would leave you seeing spots. Not even then. This blogger says that wearing sunglasses in considered rude in Korean culture. Well, sorry to anyone who may be offended, but the glasses stay on.

-Fashionable winter hats for both children and adults alike tend towards the bizarre. Think animals:

photo courtesy of popseoul.com

-Norebang > karaoke. The difference? Karaoke pits you against a room packed mostly with strangers; norebang only forces you embarrass yourself in front of your friends.

No norebang session is complete without rocking a few 80s power ballads

-Things that are universally loved by 11-year-olds: Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean, anything "cute" (kittens, puppies, hamsters, the occasional snake), boy bands. And Britney Spears, although as one girl with very good English made clear to me yesterday, "I like her music but not, you know, her." Smart kid.

-One student calmly explained that all U.S. beef is tainted with mad cow disease and that thousands of Koreans have died from eating it. He couldn't respond when I told him that I've eaten American beef plenty of times and never even gotten sick. But it's a belief held by millions of Koreans, including many of the highly-educated. Something about Koreans having specialized DNA that would become corrupted....

-I'm allergic to Korea. Seriously, guys, I'm perpetually ill here. Talk to me in a few months when the weather warms up and we'll see if I've survived winter or not. My mantra: Thailand. Thailand. Thailand.

6 comments:

  1. -You should know, all Korean air is tainted with mad cow disease and that thousands of Americans have died from breathing it. I couldn't respond when a Korean man told me that he's breathed Korean air plenty of times and never even gotten sick. But it's a belief held by millions of Americans, including many of the highly-educated. Something about Americans having specialized DNA that would become corrupted....

    :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl first of Korea smells seriously. It smells like trash truck juice everyday! I have no clue why grown Koreans wear animals on their head, that secretly bothers me. They all seem to think that if you are Black you must be from Africa at least in Bucheon they do. And dont they ever get tired of eating everything from a soup. I swear soup is going to start pouring from my skin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear that you're not well. Maybe you need a humidifier or something in your room? Try eating lean protiens like cashews or almonds. Can I send you anything?!?

    Also well done, Winer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so want one of those hats! AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, please return to America wearing one of those hats. please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw Erin, feel better! I also have been feeling a little ill since December - not sure why. London air is the most disgusting air I've ever breathed, and while Londoners can complain about the food - it's not much better than Americas! If anything, I find the fruit/veg produce to be a lot fresher than in this orifice of pollution and grey skies!

    No wonder I'm still eating Dominos and avoiding tap water. Ciaociao! x

    ReplyDelete