Update your bookmarks!

I've moved!

Update your Reader to Travel, Eat, Repeat!

See you there!

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Laughter is the best medicine

It's one of those tried-and-true clichés: "Laughter is the best medicine." And maybe it is.

A recent study at
Loma Linda University (California) says that "even the anticipation of laughter and a good time causes a momentary increase in immune function."

Meanwhile, University of Maryland (woot! woot!) researcher/cardiologist Michael Miller has found a tentative link between laughter and a decrease in heart disease. Researchers concluded that "people with heart disease were 40 percent less likely to laugh in a variety of situations compared to others of the same age without heart disease."

All this just goes to say: lighten up! And that goes for me as well as others. I'm the first to admit to being too serious about life in general, but one of my goals is to become more free-spirited and easy-going. (Laugh all you want imagining me as easy-going but I'm trying!)

I only started thinking about this after reading my friend Emily's fantastic new blog where she chronicles something every day that made her laugh. What a brilliant idea!

Maybe each of us should stop and not just be thankful for the good things in our lives, but also remember those glorious moments of joy and laughter we experience every day.

Or, to quote Annie: "Remember, you're never fully dressed without a smile!"

Just a thought...

3 comments:

  1. I agree 110%. I LOVE to laugh but do take myself and things seriously, like a bit too much. However, laughter is something I have no control over and love doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. My name is Lee Hyunmin and I am a student of Seoul National University. First of all I appreciate your consideration for Korea. I would like to introduce Korean culture more, so would like to I send you an e-mail. My e-mail address is ioyuu@hanmail.net
    I will wait your e-mail. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww thanks so much Erin!! :) I'm glad you like it! It's harder to keep up with a blog than I thought...now I'm even more impressed with your blog and the many timely posts :) Sounds like South Korea is amazing, I've been greatly enjoying reading about your adventures!!

    ReplyDelete