Update your bookmarks!

I've moved!

Update your Reader to Travel, Eat, Repeat!

See you there!

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Waffle Queen


For whatever reason, Belgian waffles with all the fixings have hit it big in Seoul. Maybe it's just getting a taste of something completely different from anything else in Korea, but giant waffles are available everywhere from fancy restaurants to streetcarts.


I hadn't had one yet so Sunday afternoon we hit up an adorable café in Samcheong-dong for a waffle with the works -- ice cream, fruit, syrup and more.

All I can say is: YUM! At home, I never ate waffles but if they are all like this, then I'm a definite convert. There was such an interesting mix of flavors: ice cream (caramel and strawberry), delicious fruits (kiwi, banana and American grapes) and other goodies buried somewhere in there.

It was definitely enough for two people to share although secretly Karen and I could probably each eat one on our own...


The end result:



It was absolutely the kind of place I love -- all that was missing was a roaring wood fire. Very cozy with comfortable chairs that would be ideal to read in all afternoon, cozy blankets to wrap around yourself if you want to sit at the outdoor patio, and other little touches that gave the place charm. Too bad this particular cafe is a bit far to trek to on a daily basis, but certainly for a special treat I know now where to go.

Isn't it odd that most of the "best" foods I've found in Korea aren't Korean...?





4 comments:

  1. That waffle looks so good. Damn it! Why do I have to be on a diet?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. your photos are really cool! I love the photo of the window knobs and the bakery window! Hey, are we still going to open our scone shop in Seattle? I'll let you make the waffles :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ten bucks says this will be the next best thing in the States soon enough. The whole delicious tangy yogurt thing (Pinkberry, Red Mango, etc.) started in Korea and it has totally taken over NYC...yummers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i would visit you just to eat that waffle.

    ReplyDelete