Update your bookmarks!

I've moved!

Update your Reader to Travel, Eat, Repeat!

See you there!

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

1000 Places

Halle and I talked recently about life lists, lists of things that we want to accomplish before we die. The conversation was inspired by a discussion about her move to Korea in August and where I would be going next. That led into, "Well, and by this time you'll be done in Korea, and then we could go to..ooh, and then..." and somehow we end up in South Africa for the 2010 World Cup. It's all a blur now...

**and no, I haven't decided yet what's happening next. Let me get through a few more months of Korea first, please.**

But our talk got us both to actually sit down and write out life lists. They aren't finished -- I wouldn't ever want to get to the point where I stop having big plans -- but it has created even more discussion and generated new ideas.

It's the same idea as one of my favorite books, 1000 Place to See Before You Die. I love keeping the book around to highlight the places I've been and get inspiration for new destinations. Not even the author has been to every place in the book -- that would be nearly impossible -- but it's a collection of travel possibilities.

John Goddard is a wonderful example of the power of a life list. At age 15, he made a list of 127 things he wished to do in his life. He has since accomplished 109 of his goals and is still going.

Naturally, most of mine involve travel:
  • hot air balloon ride over the Serengeti
  • sunrise at Machu Picchu
  • Easter weekend in Jerusalem's Old City
  • set foot on Antarctica
  • climb Ayers Rock
  • ride a camel to the pyramids in Egypt
  • take a road trip across the United States with just one other person
Although some are more personal:
  • learn to play guitar
  • become fluent at French
  • write a book -- even if it never sells a single copy
  • be a good mother someday
The full list goes on for ages and is ridiculously long but it's been fun to share and compare with friends.

I also feel incredibly blessed to have accomplished some things already that probably would have made my list a few years ago: graduating from college, exploring Mayan ruins in Central America, living overseas for extended periods of time (first London, now Seoul), visiting Alaska's glaciers, re-creating The Sound of Music in Salzburg...

Make a list. It can really work. What is something YOU want to do before you die?

5 comments:

  1. only problem - most of these things require you to be extremely rich. I'll live vicariously through your photos though when you get your travel channel gig!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI the author of that book just died (young) without visiting most of the places. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eff: hey, teaching overseas lets you MAKE money. The rest is minor details...haha

    Emily: I remember hearing that sad news about the author. That's why I never want to stop dreaming big -- you never know when it's all going to end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for re-inspiring my passion for travel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Running a marathon was on my list...now i want to run one faster haha

    ReplyDelete