Update your bookmarks!

I've moved!

Update your Reader to Travel, Eat, Repeat!

See you there!

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Some things never change

As a Mexican-American (yes, it's a great-grandparent but that still counts!), there's nothing I love more than a big plate of Mexican food. Tacos, rice, beans, salsa, fresh tortillas, guacamole -- mmmm, I could go on and on.

So one of my worries -- yes, a genuine worry -- about moving to Korea was the lack of Mexican food available. Living in London taught me that, contrary to popular belief, it is possible to survive months at a time without a burrito but your quality of life is greatly diminished. Thankfully I discovered the amazing El Panzon stand at Camden Market and was able to enjoy an occasional taco, thereby nourishing myself body and soul. *sigh*

Which brings me back to Korea. Seoul is a huge city so I knew Mexican must be around somewhere, just hidden. So when my friend Karen mentioned that she knew a good Mexican restaurant, I demanded to be taken as soon as possible (okay, less of a demand and more of an offer from her to take me).

On the Border is a chain found that I'd never heard of before even though there is apparently one 30 minutes from my house. (I'm spoiled at home by the amount of good Mexican food available nearby. Rosa Mexicano and Chipotle are two gifts from God herself -- I can even WALK to Chipotle!)

Karen insisted that the food was delicious and that, as a Texan, she knows what's good, so Melissa and I followed along like willing puppies.

The result? Brilliance! Chips and salsa, spicy chicken tacos, black beans, rice... Managed to resist the massive margaritas, each about the size of my head, but there will certainly be more visits for that! And the great thing is that having not eaten an American-sized meal in several weeks, I couldn't even finish the entire meal and have half left for dinner tonight.

I know what you're thinking: "Erin, not finishing her dinner? Erin, leaving a taco untouched? Who is this person?! Are you ill?!"

It's the new me!

No, that's a lie. Even after all three of us moaned about how stuffed we were, we still somehow ended up in Baskin Robbins before getting on the bus. Mexican and ice cream -- gee, that sounds like the good old days to me!

1 comment:

  1. You are making me hungry with your words alone. YOu are making my decision to teach in Korea for 1 year easier and easier. Seems like you are having a successful time.

    ReplyDelete