Update your bookmarks!

I've moved!

Update your Reader to Travel, Eat, Repeat!

See you there!

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Getting orientated

Yes, I've taken some pictures and I'll try to post them tonight--right now, I'm just too lazy to upload them onto my computer and still want to take more of the campus to show you. So look for an update tonight or tomorrow.

The past two days have been busy with orientation and class observation. I'll start teaching either Monday or Tuesday and it will probably be one of the classes I've observed this week--cooking, transportation, police or economy (please not economy!).

All of the teachers here are SO welcoming and friendly, I can't even believe it. People have gone completely out of their way to make both Melissa and I feel welcome and give us guidance, from walking us to where class meets or taking us on bus trips or inviting us to all the parties. Last night after work, we went out with a bunch of teachers and bosses to this great pub, Penelope's, about 10 minutes from campus. It was great to interact with people in a social environment and get to know everyone better--I think tomorrow night we're all going to Hard Rock Cafe in Itaewon (the American district) to celebrate another teacher's birthday.

The kids are all SO cute and (mostly) sweet, but I had my first "classic" Korean moment today, something I told everyone would happen to me and no one believed: today was the first day a kid called me fat. It was more funny than anything but this little boy just turned to me randomly and said, "Teacher, you fat." "What?" "Teacher, you fat."

I have since learned that the best response is just to tell the student that HE is fat and that usually throws him off, but it was still funny especially because no one believed me at home that this actually happens.

More orientation this afternoon to go over bureaucratic issues but then I'm off at 3:15 and free to enjoy the weekend. A friend is taking me and Melissa to our first authentic Korean barbecue tonight and the weekend should be full of some touristy things in Seoul, since we haven't done any of that yet.

Pictures definitely to come but for now, I'm out.

1 comment:

  1. Haha wow I can't believe he actually called you fat...that is kind of funny....

    p.s. you are so not fat lol!!!

    Glad to hear you are having a good time! Can't wait to see your pictures!

    ReplyDelete