Update your bookmarks!

I've moved!

Update your Reader to Travel, Eat, Repeat!

See you there!

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Food coma


After a long day of work on a beautiful, still-warm autumn Saturday, there's nothing like a delicious meal with friends to serve as the perfect cap. Gabe insisted he knew a great Brazilian steakhouse that we would love -- all-you-can-eat steak for 25,000 won (less than US $19). Not having eaten steak for probably 12 years or so, I was still happy to try a new restaurant to get a break from campus food and enjoy a relaxing dinner.


At Mercado in Apgujeong, you get an unlimited amount of meat (many different cuts of steak, duck, pork and chicken) and side dishes (potato salad, a delicious pico de gallo-type side, the ubiquitous pickles, and yummy salad).


Gabe promised that the first bite of steak would never be forgotten and I must admit that he was right -- it was absolutely perfect.


Two things I learned:

1. I CAN eat all I can eat, but will then be in massive pain. Especially when a meat buffet is followed by Coldstone (which was NOT my idea, I must point out. Okay, it may have been a joint idea between me and Karen...)

2. Out of six people, I was the most adventurous eater. In the spirit of this year (in which my resolution is to try new things), the odd food of the night was duck heart. Not a bad taste at all, but very chewy and fatty. It's more the thought that's unpleasant, not the heart itself. Finally David and Karen also manned up enough to try the heart and agreed it wasn't terrible.

Duck heart

PS: A lot of people have asked for pictures of the school and kids. I haven't had the chance to take photos yet but hopefully this week. In the meantime, these are some of the kindys we had earlier this week -- they mostly wear uniforms and are just adorable and really sweet! I'm teaching a bunch of kindy classes this week so that should be fun.

3 comments:

  1. Awww those kids are so cute and the food sounds so good! You have Coldstone?! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh god... duck heart?! No thanks! But I think thats amazing you went to the race tracks! Were they dirty and smelly like pimlico? I died at your "korean squat photo". How do you get the nerve to take pictures of random people. I've tried a few times, but I always feel like other people around me stare and think I'm weird.

    p.s. Gabe looks very cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. duck heart looks delicious. i'm guessing it won't be the strangest thing you've eaten by the time you come back from korea though...and to second alia - korean coldstone?

    ReplyDelete