Update your bookmarks!

I've moved!

Update your Reader to Travel, Eat, Repeat!

See you there!

Monday, August 25, 2008

Remembering to be thankful

The most common question I get these days is: "So, what are you going to do when you get back from Korea?" So many options, so little time. It's hard to even begin to think that far ahead when my mind has yet to wrap itself around the idea that in about a month I'll be living in a completely foreign environment. And yet that does nothing to stop my brain from racing to answer everyone's queries.

And so my new answer is simply, "I have no idea." Maybe I'll go back to school--and maybe that school will be in London. Maybe I'll continue teaching English abroad--perhaps remain in Korea or migrate to another corner of the world. Maybe I'll come back to Washington and take a nice, comfortable government job and learn to embrace the 9-5 rat race--or maybe not.

Especially this month, with so many friends traveling around the country and around the world, I find myself getting trapped in a vicious circle of jealousy. Just hearing about a friend's trip to Peru or a move to France makes my feet itch and my passport jump. No matter how often I remind myself that I, too, have been extraordinarily lucky and seen so much in so short a time, there's a part of me that just aches to be on the road again and no longer confined to this space.

Which seems entirely silly when you consider that in a month I'll be moving to the other side of the world and setting up a home in South Korea. It's really ridiculous to even complain when I've had the great fortune of seeing some of the world's most marvelous cities and wonders. But there's still that little part that wishes I could be in a million places at once--wandering through Borough Market early Saturday morning, hiking along glacier ridges, riding a camel toward the Great Pyramids, snorkeling along the Great Barrier Reef.

The past four years have been so blessedly full of adventure, excitement and wonder that I can't wait to see what the next year--and then on, and then on--holds. There's something truly fulfilling about just going where the wind takes you. Now I just have to hold on.

Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
-Buddha

3 comments:

  1. amen, sister.

    by the way, we leave in ONE MONTH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on South Korea...Good luck and I'm sure you will have plenty of opportunities to see cool things and visit new places when you're abroad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, how do you think I feel now that I'm settled in boring ol' PG County and all of my friends are wisking off to far away places? BTW Sara Murray is covering the Dem. Convention for the WSJ. Doesn't that just make you sick? haha. No offense, Smur.

    p.s. I'm come visit you in London!!! I swear this time!!!

    ReplyDelete