Update your bookmarks!

I've moved!

Update your Reader to Travel, Eat, Repeat!

See you there!

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Anchorage

I'm here safely in Anchorage, Alaska, and thankfully our hotel has free Internet access.

Unfortunately, I was a total idiot and forgot to pack the cable connecting my camera to my computer. So while I can blog, there won't be any pictures until next week.

That being said: Alaska is...beautiful. gorgeous. amazing. stunning. breathtaking. Just flying into Anchorage, we passed over miles of mammoth snow-covered mountains and swirling glaciers all along British Columbia and Alaska. It's like nothing I've ever seen before. Anchorage is Alaska's largest city with more than 270,000 people (larger than D.C.) but with a small-town feel and charm. Bordered by water on two sides and mountains on one, it's perfectly cozily nestled in the middle and easy to walk around to xplore.

Today has been pretty laid-back. We spent most of the day exploring the large Saturday market that had tons of crafts, delicious food (mmm...halibut tacos, salmon quesadillas, reindeer dogs!), and wonderful street performers. The people-watching here is definitely on a new level--Anchorage attracts quite a range of interesting characters!

Not sure what the plan is for tomorrow. Possibly checking out the Alaska Heritage Museum or maybe even heading out to a nearby glacier. We board the ship Monday afternoon and from there, Internet might be more sporadic.

Off to enjoy one of my favorite activities--tea time!

2 comments:

  1. SO cool!!! But reindeer dogs?! You ate Rudolph didn't you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a Jew, I just want the record to show that I'm ok with Erin eating Rudolph. Just so long as her dog-eating habits don't extend to the Far East.

    ReplyDelete