Update your bookmarks!

I've moved!

Update your Reader to Travel, Eat, Repeat!

See you there!

Friday, July 25, 2008

Mamma Mia, here I go again!

There's something to be said for a really good summer movie. It needs to be fun, engaging and, most importantly, not leave you completely depressed for the rest of the day.

But for whatever reason, this summer has provided slim pickings in the enjoyable movie category. A big part of this is simply because I'm a) a movie snob, and b) hard to please. "The Dark Knight"? Good acting and exciting, but not my cup of tea. "Get Smart"? Steve Carell is hilarious but the movie is a dud. "Sex and the City"? It's great seeing the girls--well, women--back together again but honestly, it was pretty much fashion filler.

It's been hard to find a decent movie this year outside of my local arthouse movie theatre, where we're blessed with an assortment of films from around the world. Brilliant movies from England, France, Spain, the Czech Republic and other countries have been sublime this summer, along with a wonderful collection of American indie films.

Have there been any mainstream American movies that can stand up to these little-seen gems?

Maybe, because the perfect summer movie this year is..."Mamma Mia!".


Now, there are certainly major flaws with this film as well. As anyone who has seen the play can attest, it's almost unbearably cheesy and moments. And while the cast is filled with incredibly able actors, many of them aren't exactly all-star singers. Case-in-point: poor Pierce Brosnan, who looks rugged and sexy as hell, but looks uncomfortably constipated as he muddles his way through "S.O.S." It's not pleasant.

But "Mamma Mia!" still manages to rise above the fray of summer drivel (have you SEEN some of the crap that shows at cinemas these days?! I know I sound like an old lady but my God, the trailers before "The Dark Knight" make me truly loathe Hollywood...).

Meryl Streep, Christine Baranski and Julie Walters just look like they're having so much fun and THAT is what I enjoyed. After dragging one of my best friends, Lauren, to see this movie against her will, I wanted it to be good and it was. You find yourself singing, dancing and smiling the entire time and actually leave the theatre in a good mood--something hard to find in those movies filled with death and explosions.

I want to skip around an island singing Abba (interestingly my cousin is currently studying on the same island used to shoot the movie). I want to wear a flowy white wedding dress and get married in a church perched on the side of a cliff. I want to roll around the sands of Greece.

For now, just a fantasy. But still, it was way more fun than I've had at the movies in ages. And getting to share it with Lauren made it even better!

1 comment:

  1. Awww I just saw this! We're such lovey dovey nerds haha.

    Fun fact - Bosman is from Ireland. IRELAND!!! That means he scores major bonus points when I bring him home to Mother (note the when). Just don't let him sing haha.

    I listened to and sang "Super Trouper" while I was cooking dinner last night.

    ReplyDelete