Update your bookmarks!

I've moved!

Update your Reader to Travel, Eat, Repeat!

See you there!

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Let's start at the very beginning...

It's a much more complicated process to teach in Korea than I had assumed. I thought there would be a few forms to fill out, an interview, and then--boom--a job. How wrong, how wrong.

When Melissa and I decided to move to Korea to teach English, our number one criteria was that we could be flatmates. It just made sense that if we were going to move to the other side of the globe, we should live together. Unfortunately, this meant having to cut ties with the recruiter we were working with when she couldn't guarantee us shared housing (we're perfectly okay with teaching at different schools, however).

And so now, it's back to the drawing board. We're working with a new recruiter to hopefully find placement soon and begin teaching in late August/early September. It's become even more complicated with Melissa's ordeal getting fingerprinted (for some reason, it's much more difficult in New York than Maryland), the planning for a trek to Annapolis, and of course, the fact that the University of Maryland won't send us our much-deserved diplomas until late July--when, of course, most schools and recruiters want to see these documents much earlier. For someone like me, a complete Type-A planner, it's a logistical nightmare.

But we will persevere. Melissa and I are determined to come to Korea--we've rationalized that we can't back out now if for no other reason than to save face, because we've already told all our friends and family that we're making the huge leap.

Excitement, nervousness, joy, dread (?), intense anticipation. I'm just ready to have a job solidified and GO -- of course, I'm not quite sure what will happen once I get there, but preparing for the journey is half the fun.

(And in the meantime, I get a nice weekend sojourn to Belize and Guatemala in a couple of weeks to tide me over and appease my wanderlust.)

(Tikal, Guatemala--I'll be there in 2 weeks!)

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I'm Grace. I'm leaving to teach in Korea come August with a company called CDI (Chung Dahm Institute) via a recruiting company. I would like to extend an invite to you if you would like to use the same recruiter. This is because I find that hey are thorough, compassionate and patient. Please drop me a line, I'll be happy to help you out.

    ReplyDelete