Update your bookmarks!

I've moved!

Update your Reader to Travel, Eat, Repeat!

See you there!

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

There are worse things than staring at the water as you're posing for a picture...


People often ask me what I love most about London. The fantastic theatre? The impressive museums? Meeting cute British boys at pubs? All good answers. But the truth is... I love London for its parks.

Growing up in the suburbs of DC, I'm used to having green spaces nearby. One of the hardest things about living in the city is feeling absolutely claustrophobic surrounded by towering buildings and gray pavement as far as the eye can see. But in London, green spaces are absolutely everywhere.


Walk out my front door, turn right, and in under 3 minutes (2 if you make both lights, which rarely happens) you're in Regent's Park. The park is roughly 500 acres of lakes, football/soccer pitches, and walking trails. It's a nice respite from the hustle and bustle of London--and it's hard to believe that busy Baker Street is right around the corner. There are miles of trails, including my favorite which leads straight through the sports fields and up Primrose Hill, where there are the best 360-degree views of London.

I think that this is London's secret for being a livable city: create large green spaces throughout the city and give residents a way to escape from the city without having to get on a bus. Even if it's just a half-hour for lunch, that can be the key to getting some fresh air and feeling rejuvenated.

Sitting on a bench by the lake with ice cream and a good book--that's where you can find me! (at least until it starts getting really cold--then I'll be in the nearest Costa Coffee...)

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you're having such a fabulous time! The pictures are all gorgeous!! :)

    ReplyDelete